THE | Fectoprine

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

So far...

If you've come across this blog and are facing this post, it is probably to my own misfortune, as I was not intending to really share it around until there was actually some decent material on it. This is really mostly for self-reference: I doubt Calibre will be a serial release, except to a select few. But nonetheless, my progress so far...

I have created a solid draft of Chapter One, titled Come With Us, which introduces calibre-bearing characters like Eric, who has a curious charm and a tongue of silver; August, a girl with an icy touch; Jai, who can walk on walls; and Marie, who can walk through them. It offers very little explanation of the workings of the city or what it consists of (it leaves out the name entirely), and mostly just alludes to the character's unique abilities. This chapter in it's current state (finished, but no doubt riddled with errors) is 7653 words. I have considered including a prologue, although I probably won't end up doing so.

I've sent this draft to a few people, and the two who got back to me were very positive and eager to see Chapter Two when it is complete (although I am not sure if I will share future chapters beyond the few people I am going to use for primary feedback, who are not yet completely determined).

Since then, I have started working on Chapter Two, as I have had a bad habit in the past of making a solid first chapter and then just ceasing writing. It is titled If You Have An Enemy and introduces a new character, General Sebastian Wyre, and that's all I really want to reveal at this point. It is currently sitting at 3858 words. I'm pretty sure it will be shorter than Chapter One, although I never expected Come With Us to be as long as it is, anyway.

The thing that has really motivated me so far with this attempt (and believe me, I have made many failed attempts at writing this story, which I am extremely precious about) is the fact that I have gone into it blind, enabling myself to take my time with each moment, and be fairly unaware what is going to happen with the characters I am creating.

Anyway, my lunch break is nearly over, and I doubt I will revisit this until a few more chapters are done... Christ, I sound so serious. Have fuuuuuuuuuuuun.

No comments:

Post a Comment