THE | Fectoprine

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Chapter Four

I'll be honest - like every other week, I have no gotten far during the weekdays, basically falling into a "one step fowards and two step back" routine, thus I hardly make any progress. At the moment, however, it looks like it will be opening with an introduction to Ian Treale in a (so far) unidentified location. I'm hoping to also introduce Angelica and Owen, although I think I will be using C1+2's style and following two people almost exclusively: these two people for C4 being Treale and August.

I have essentially decided on what the plot is going to be sort of about, although I'm not entirely sure what is going to happen, which is what gives me more incentive to write: the less I insist on occurring in a chapter, the more I enjoy writing it. I think that's why I had a bit of trouble kick-starting In All The Wrong Places - I had decided by the end of C2 what was going to unfold in C3.

So far, I'm sitting around 500 words for Is It Any Wonder?, which I hope to do some work on tonight (considering writing tomorrow is basically out of the question). I would like to have at least 1500 words before the weekend, when the real work is put into it. I'm looking forward to writing this chapter, as I'll be introducing Pen Expers - which is to be a very important location - from two very different perspectives.

I'm pretty settled with this kind of routine - I found that when I was writing Come With Us, the "mandatory" 1000 words per day didn't really work for me at all, meaning the chapter took a lot longer than I wanted it to. So, each Sunday, I hope to be able to type the final word of the chapter of the week, print it out the next day, and then move onto the next one. Hypothetically, I'd imagine this would mean that Calibre will take approximately 16 weeks to complete. Am I going to finish it in that time frame? Probably not.

I've already started considering writing spin-offs, although I'm not going to bother just yet. I've been developing the world of the Fectoprine to be suitable for other stories - the events surrounding the ensemble of main characters, in terms of the world as a whole, aren't going to overshadow any possible sequels or other stories set in the world (so, no, Calibre is not going to end with the city exploding or anything like that at all).

OH SHI-time to do some actual work.

No comments:

Post a Comment