THE | Fectoprine

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Chapter Eight Progress

I have been very lazy.

Chapter Eight, Fly Like An Eagle, is currently sitting at around 6000 words... So, it isn't far from being finished. But at the same time, it carries a kind of burden: because I decidedly changed my mind about what's going to happen, I had to lay out a description of the 'problem' in the book with a wall of dialogue. It does work well enough in context (Eric finally demands Victor tell the others and himself what's going on and why they're doing what they're doing), but a lot of it should be eased in during the earlier chapters. This'll be fixed during the second draft, though.

Fly Like An Eagle focuses mostly on Victor, somebody who has been around since the second chapter but has never really stepped into the spotlight... the only other character who hasn't done this yet is Angelica. It is the most dialogue-intensive chapter of the book so far, I dare say, thanks to Victor's explanation on Ruben Storm.

What I've decided on isn't something completely surprising to myself - the first time I attempted a super-power based project, which was called Black Calibre, it had a similar threat. I've always favoured the idea of having a non-human antagonist, which is going to be the case in Calibre. It is also not unconditionally biased towards the protagonist's intentions, which is something I feel helps make the world seem more vivid: there is always to sides to a story, and that is going to be the case with Calibre.

Anyway, I hope to finish C8 by tonight. I'll update this if I manage to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment